Amazingly, Pakistan is a country where you can earn as much as 3 to 5 thousand rupees a day with a cart of French fries in any posh area.
Its increasing population and more than 70 million middle-class consumers are the powerful agents that can turn innovative business ideas in Pakistan into a reality.
All you have to do is to kick off your business with a fantastic business idea. According to Entrepreneur, every business idea is fantastic if it fulfills the given criteria:
- it solves a problem (it fulfills any need in the community)
- it’s scalable (you can grow it, extend it, expand it, shrink it, limit it)
- it’s profitable
- it’s not easy to copy (means you can add something unique into it)
- it appeals to your gut feeling
If you are someone who is not a big fan of a 9 to 5 job and wants to be his own boss, then keep on reading.
A 9 to 5 job can be really exhausting and monotonous. And honestly speaking, most of the entry-level jobs do not pay that well. You have to work for peanuts to earn a decent living for yourself.
However, to save yourself from the hassles of a boring 9 to 5 job, you can always opt for a business venture. There are million business ideas out there, each catering to a different customer segment.
All you have to do is to pick a business idea that does not require a kidney to start, especially when you are new in the business. Moreover, it should be sustainable and it should earn a good amount of money because that’s our primary goal. Right?
The good news is that we have come up with a list of business ideas that you can start with little or no investment. How cool is that? Try to target potential customers with these business ideas.
Business Ideas in Pakistan with Small Investment
Following are some innovative investment opportunities in Pakistan, which could be considered for starting your own business.
|1. Poultry farming||High||High||Needed||Moderate||Management; knowledge about poultry||$70,000 per year|
|2. Beauty salon||Moderate||Moderate||Needed||Moderate||Knowledge about makeup and skincare||$25000 per month|
|3. Coffee shop||Moderate||Moderate||Not needed||Low||Management;||$60,000 per year|
|4. Digital marketing services||High||Low||Needed||Moderate||Technical skills, marketing;||$40,000 per year|
|5. Daycare center||Low||Moderate||Not needed||Moderate||Management;||$21000 per year|
|6. Girls hostel||Low||Moderate||Not needed||Moderate||Management;||$22000 per year|
|7. Fish farming||Moderate||High||Needed||High||Knowledge about fish;||$71000 per year|
|8. Solar energy||High||High||Needed||High||Technical skills;||$75000 per year|
|9. Organic farming||High||Moderate||Needed||Moderate||Knowledge about plants;||$20,000 per year|
|10. Real estate||High||Moderate||Not needed||Low||Knowledge about properties; networking;||$42000 per year|
|11. EBook publishing||moderate||Low||Not needed||Low||Creativity; writing skills;||$500 per month|
|12. Online tutoring||Moderate||Low||Intermediate to high||Moderate||Teaching;||$10k to 50k per month|
|13. Graphic designing||high||Low||Moderate||Moderate||Designing; technical skills||$2800 per month|
|14. Ecommerce site||high||High||Moderate||Moderate||Marketing skills; management skills; technical skills||$150k per month|
|15. Blogging||High||Low||Not needed||Low||Writing; creativity;||$1000 per month|
|16. Boutique||Minimum||High||Not needed||Moderate||Creativity; design;||$8 to $30 per casual dress|
|17. Catering||High||Moderate||Not needed||Moderate||Cooking; event management||$30,000 per month|
|18. Photography||Moderate||Moderate||Not needed||Moderate||Creativity; technical skills||$10 to $15 per hour|
|19. Food truck||High||High||Not needed||Moderate||Cooking; management; marketing;||$5000 to $20000 per month|
|20. Freelance writing||High||Low||Needed||Moderate||Writing; creativity||$0.8 to $1 per word.|
1. Poultry Farming
- Poultry sector generates employment and income for about 1.5 million people.
- The poultry sector is one of the most organized branches of the agro-based sector of Pakistan. Its growth rate is 10-12% per annum.
- 40-45% of the total meat consumption is being procured from poultry products.
The poultry business contains four major sectors:
- Chicken Breeding/Hatchery
- Meat Production/Broilers Breeding
- Egg Production/Layers of Breeding
- Poultry Feed Production
Now, if you’re confident that you can handle all the four domains – both administratively and financially – good luck from us! And if not, you may better trust yourself and jump into any one of these stages.
W0hen you have decided your area of interest, you should focus on what type of bird you should choose. It is suggested that a maximum of two or three types of birds are enough for a starter. In Pakistan, we generally lay hands-on domestic chickens for broilers and layers. Other available options include turkey, duck, and goose.
Methods of Poultry Farming
Different methods of poultry farming are being used in Pakistan. Earlier, it was the intensive poultry farming method where the farmer/housekeepers would take extreme care of the chicks and produce poultry throughout the year.
Today, in commercial poultry farming, we use land, labor, feed and a number of other resources to get good results. Two major types of commercial farming include layer poultry farming and broiler poultry farming.
What skills are required?
When you deal with livestock, you must be aware of the animals’ feed, the environment they live in, their behaviors and most importantly, the diseases they are likely to get in different seasons of the year and appropriate vaccinations.
So it’s better to do proper research or hire someone who could manage things for you.
Poultry Farming Business Plan
No matter how great a business plan is, financial affordability and technical feasibility decide whether you should go for it or not.
Now, since you know your budget and your area of interest – hatching, egg production or meat production – prepare a comprehensive report that should take care of every detail, including required area, investment, birds, equipment, resources, marketing, and clientele, etc.
2. Beauty Salon
Nothing stands more scalable than businesses like food, clothing and beauty and skincare. We’ve witnessed such small business ideas growing very fast over the last few decades. The more personal care becomes a huge concern out there for everyone, the more momentum such business activities attain.
To start it as a business activity, you need to take care of certain things: choosing the best location for the salon, talented staff (probably the best in the town), interior, price plan, and lastly, the best marketing strategy.
Beauty Salon Business Plan
Salons are cash-consuming start-ups initially, which require a comprehensive plan. The business plan should include what services you can afford to offer (technically and financially), who your target customers are, what price plan can be realistic, what gender you could serve, what age group is your specialty, procurement of equipment, beauty products, the size of your salon and other utilities.
Work permit for the salon
It is wise to ensure that a work permit has already been obtained from relevant authorities before the salon gets a formal start. Followed by formalities, there must be a very attractive name to your beauty salon, as it is again your major tool to impress clients.
There is a variety of services your salon could offer – hairstyling, beauty and skincare, manicure and pedicure, a variety of makeups, and personal grooming.
Two things that will decide the range of services you are offering:
- Your budget, as more services mean more investment.
- Your target market, as not all people require all services.
3. Coffee Shop
According to Business Insider, coffee is the most in-demand commodity in the world after crude oil. In Pakistan, the business has grown triple in size over the last decade, and interestingly, the core of the business no more remains only in the hands of expensive and popular brands.
Major points to be considered in the business plan:
- Investment cap
- requirement of manpower
- requirement of space
- requirement of equipment
- other expenses
Market research is extremely necessary for all businesses generally, but particularly for the coffee shop business.
What should you research?
- Taste and demand of the locality you have chosen for the business (visit and sip coffees, tea, and other beverages at various places to know what attract them).
- What special thing could you offer to attract/divert customers to your doorstep?
- What marketing strategy including word of mouth will be helpful in making your voice louder?
Concentrate on Takeaway Customers
There’s no need to state how important your takeaway customers are. They pay the same but do not cost you occupancy expenses. Do the following for them:
- Make them an offer they can’t refuse
- offer loyalty cards
- offer the best quality packing
To ensure that you make customers fast and keep them too, you should
- Focus on quality – the best branding tactic is your quality.
- Co-brand yourself with any popular brand.
- Make yourself present on all social media platforms.
- Engage with FoodPanda.
4. Digital Marketing Services
In today’s world, who doesn’t want to be promoted? Due to excessive social media use, social media platforms come up to be the first options for widespread digital promotion.
Therefore, starting a small digital marketing firm is a wonderful idea.
- Identify your target audience who might be using your services. Though digital media is the same for every client, its strategy varies client-wise. Therefore, it is to wise to know what type of businesses you could easily promote.
- You may also want to engage a partner or investor for the business. It must be clearly stated on what terms and how you are going to run this business.
- Your business plan must take into account the latest trends in the digital marketing industry. Only new ideas get highlighted.
- What are your goals and objectives?
- How many clients at the most could you manage?
- How big a human resource do you need? How competent are they, and how to retain them?
- Make sure your business plan is realistic. Discuss it with those who know it.
You can offer a variety of services:
- Setting up a website
- Content marketing (webpages, videos, reports, social media posts, proofreading, and editing, etc.)
- Search Engine Optimisation (clients do want to get themselves ranked higher and higher on any search engine. You SEO skillset can help them get there)
- Social Media Planning
- Graphic Design
- Company Branding
5. Day Care Centre
If you love kids to an extent that their care makes you comfortable, this is a tremendous investment opportunity for you.
Every office-going woman in Pakistan is concerned about her kids’ care, as no good and affordable daycares are available even in the major cities. So why not grab the opportunity?
Interestingly, this business requires less investment, but more passion and interest.
Before you start, look for the following things in the available daycare centers of the area:
- number of children in the daycare
- ages of enrolment
- hours of keeping children
- tuition fee
- required staff
- other necessities
Your business plan should take care of the following things:
- How many children can you care for conveniently?
- Children of what age could you take care of?
- For how long could you keep the children?
- How much staff do you require?
- Safety exits from your home/center
- Necessary first-aid kit
- Prevention plan for fire or other hazards
- Emergency handling preparation
Good Budget, Good Start
Your investment includes:
- Equipment and necessities (educational, kitchen, outdoor, office)
- Supply of items (educational, housekeeping, office)
- Daycare promotion (print, online, ad space)
- Licensing fees (if any)
- Insurance (if required)
- Charge relatively less if you’re in a tough competition.
- Decide deadline for the payment with reasonable leniency.
- You are all set to go!
- Choose location
- Purchase equipment
- Purchase insurance
- Market your daycare
- Use digital media platforms i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
6. Girls Hostel
Quite like office-going women, female students to have many problems. Finding a reliable and accessible hostel is, of course, one of them.
Since we have very few reputable places in our cities where women could stay for their education, the business of girls’ hostelling has experienced quite a rise in demand over the last few years.
- Decide if you need help from a professional to set up the business, or you can do it yourself.
- Look for a location near academic institutions, retail and corporate hubs, and any secure place where access to women is convenient.
- It’s better to rent out a double-storey house where at least 10 girls could be accommodated easily.
- Provide all relevant facilities within the hostel i.e. kitchen and internet service, etc.
- If rooms are big enough, you may divide them into two with a separator.
- Pricing should be carefully estimated, including all expenses and profits.
- Strict operating policies should be underlined.
- Do rigorous market research to identify all the given requisites.
- Prepare a marketing strategy and identify from where you could get potential customers.
- Every known university and corporate sector should have your address.
7. Fish Farming
Even if you’re not good at fishing, you can start up this thriving business. Let us tell you how to do this.
- Find a suitable place in your home and dig a pond, and if you haven’t any space, search for a bigger aquarium. Fishes can be raised in tubs, containers and even bigger tubes.
- Lab test your water for purity.
- Identify your market before choosing the fish type.
- Identify frequency, a quantity of supply and demand, etc.
- Develop a clear understanding of what exactly your budget is.
- Develop an understanding of the fish feed and source of procurement.
- Keep in mind the frequency of harvesting and supply to the market; fish consumption decreases in summers in Pakistan.
- Decide how to get the fish to the market.
- Create a solid marketing strategy
- Arrange the following equipment:
- Aquarium or fish tank
- Aeration Devices
- Net or Seine Reels
- Handling Equipment
- Water testing equipment
8. Solar Energy
You would agree with me that investment in the energy sector of Pakistan has become an intimidating adventure for modest investors. The oil and gas business is so volatile and monopolized that it generally discourages new investors who intend to try their luck here.
Why not shift to solar energy?
I strongly recommend investing in the solar energy sector because of two major reasons: it requires a small space and limited infrastructure, and machinery and equipment are easily available at a very reasonable budget.
We have recently observed that solar energy has managed to shape itself into a small industry in KPK and Southern regions of Punjab.
9. Organic Farming
Thanks to electronic and social media, we are now aware of the despicable face of traditional agriculture that uses unconventional and hazardous methods to increase production.
Over the past the few years, we have seen a radical shift towards organic agriculture. A report says that almost 33% of the farmers have already adapted to organic agriculture across the country.
It is high time to finance the industry by importing high-quality seed, inducting technology to the sector and maintaining standard cultivation practices. You could either own the business or finance the cultivators.
10. Real Estate Investment
As the second-largest employer of the country, real state in Pakistan is termed as the most secure sector of all times.
Rapidly growing projects of housing colonies and majestic skyscrapers (shopping malls) now offer different types of properties at reasonable installment and cash plans, which have exclusively interested the lower-middle-class families. A critical requirement for this initiative is gaining as much information on the field as possible.
11. EBook Publishing
Have you ever thought about changing your habit into a business idea? If you are someone who has good writing skills and you love books then this is the business for you. EBooks are an excellent source of income.
There are many sites out there that allow you to publish your eBook for free, including amazon. You can earn around $500 per month, depending on the quality of your content. You can earn through royalties and collaborations as well.
12. Online Tutoring
The mode of education is changing by leaps and bounds. Today, you can learn about anything from home. You don’t have to invest hundreds of rupees just to study graphic designing or photography. With the advancements in IT, you can now learn languages, you can learn basic accounting, finance, sociology, and the list goes on.
If you are an expert in any skill or you hold a college degree, start spreading that knowledge. Be it science, math, sociology, sewing, public speaking, IT. Many websites such as Udemy, Teachable, and Podia will allow you to earn a handsome amount of money from our home.
You can easily earn $10k to $50k per month.
13. Graphic Designing
Logos, brochures, letterheads, and business cards are some of the many products that can be made through graphic designing and companies are always in need of these products. If you are someone who loves to play with colors and shapes then graphics designing maybe your happy place.
You can easily learn graphic designing from online websites such as Coursera, udemy, youtube, and vice versa, that too, free of cost. All you need is a laptop and an internet connection and you are good to go.
14. E-commerce Site
Traditional retail businesses are now converting into e-commerce sites. The convenience, low inventory costs, and broad scope make it an excellent business option.
You can target lots of potential customers by sitting at home. All you need is a website, a good marketing strategy and an exceptional product/service. People are selling millions of products and services through their e-commerce sites. Some of the examples are: apparel, shoes, jewelry, books, electronics and the list continues.
People are earning monthly revenue of around $150,000 by selling things online. If you cannot afford a website at the moment, try using Instagram and Facebook to sell things online.
Oh, so you want to tell the world about your recent shopping haul? Are you excited to put forward your opinion about that new movie? Are you looking for a medium to share your thoughts with the people?
Worry not because a blog is a platform where you can express your viewpoints with the world. And the best part about blogging? It can pay you really well. You can earn through sponsored content, Google AdSense and affiliate marketing.
The clothing business is very profitable in Pakistan because the costs of fabrics are low. If you love creating trendy apparel for yourself then try converting your passion into your brand.
You can also hire a tailor for stitching and a designing student to design clothes for you. You can either sell your clothes online or you can set up a shop. The price range for a pret piece starts from Rs. 1000 and above.
If you are a foodie like me who loves cooking then catering is an excellent business opportunity. If you are a newbie, try starting from small events like get-togethers and birthday parties and then diversify by targeting bigger events. Set your menu and rate list and share it with your friends and family members.
This is such an awesome and creative way to earn good bucks. All you need is a DSLR camera and a knack for art and creativity. Take your camera, go out for a walk, take loads of high-quality pictures and start your photography page.
Make your portfolio and share your rates and services with everyone around you. You can also cover events like birthday parties, graduation shoots, bridal showers, and weddings.
If you are committed to this profession and you deliver top-notch pictures, then photography will make me well off for sure.
19. Food Trucks
Food trucks are the talk of the town. You can start your food truck with an initial investment of $10,000. Keep the menu simple and hygienic. The location should be excellent because it will increase your sales and customer base.
People love to eat, relax and enjoy a calm place. Yummy food and great ambiance will help you earn a good amount of money in a short duration of time. You can earn around $5000 to $20000 easily in a month.
20. Freelance Writing
If you know how to play with words and you can jot down catchy content then you are truly blessed. There are many websites out there such as Freelancer, Upwork and Fiverr that pay you for your writing services. You can write website content, blog posts, newsletters, newspaper article, and whatnot.
So what are you waiting for? Get up, take your laptop and start earning today. Try to build a client base and hire more writers to start your very own content writing firm. A freelance writer can earn up to 0.80 to $1 per word which is great.
A final word
Pakistan abounds with the best business ideas and investment opportunities in every sector – accessible both by low and high-income groups or individuals. This was a comprehensive and informative blog post about business ideas with little investment. You can easily start a business of your own if you invest in proper research and have a good marketing strategy.
Give these business ideas a read and let us know about your views. We would love to know about your ideas. If you need any further information, give us a knock.
- Top Visa Free Countries for Pakistan in 2019
- How to be a Successful Real Estate Agent
- 8 Things to Ask before Renting a Place