Everyone desires for a home of their dreams where they can relax and unwind after a hectic and tiresome day. Everyone wishes for a house that is well equipped with all the necessities such as location, spacious and well-kept rooms, design ideas, good storage areas, and neat baths, and of course a basement.
However, most of the time, people confuse about the cost construction of houses or skeptical about building a basement in their house. A lot of people prefer it whereas, there is a good amount of people who think that building a basement is not their thing.
To save you from all this confusion and skepticism, we bring you this article that talks about the advantages and disadvantages of owning a basement AND certain pros and cons of not having a basement as well as property tax in Pakistan.
Pros of Constructing a Basement:
There are a number of advantages of basement construction. Some of them are:
- Owning a basement means getting more space. If you are someone who is always struggling with space or you are someone who has a lot of furniture and amenities, consider building a basement. It will be a perfect option to cater to your space issues. Before construct, a basement one should know about plot size as well.
- If you are someone who has a bigger family or you are someone who is planning on extending your family, try building a basement in your house. Basements are usually very spacious and can accommodate people quite easily. Also, it is a one-time investment that will benefit you in the longer run.
- Basements are an excellent way to utilize your sloping site. If you have an inclined area in your plot, you can bring it to your benefit by constructing a basement. It will not only provide you with extra space but it will also balance the level of your house.
- Basements usually have a cooler temperature because it is not directly subjected to light. If you are living in a hot area, your basement can prove to be a heaven for you especially in hot humid days.
- Basement space is so diverse and can be used for multiple purposes. You can use it as a living area, you can convert into a home theatre, you can change into your child’s room, you can make it a library…the options are innumerable.
- If you have a basement in your house, you do not have to spend money on building an attic or a separate storage area. The basement can perfectly act as your storage area as well.
- If you have a heating system or any mechanical equipment to install in your house, the basement would be the best place. The system will stay safe and secure and it will not become visible.
- The basement is a very safe space. If you are living in an area where natural hazardous like tornadoes and earthquakes are common, try constructing a basement in your home. There are many construction companies providing this service at affordable prices.
Lots of benefits, right? However, like everything else in the world, basements also have some drawbacks.
Why Constructing a Basement is Not a Good Idea?
- If you are living in an area where the water tables are high, or you get a home loan do not build a basement it will flood out and its cost would be very high. It will not only destroy your basement but it will also affect the foundations of your house.
- A basement does not receive adequate sunlight and ventilation, causing dampness and humidity in the basement, if you live in a region where the water content in the air is high, do not opt for a basement. The basement will not only spoil your belongings and food, but it will also spoil the wall paint.
- The maintenance and construction cost of basement is high. If you are low on budget, the basement might not be a good option for you. You will have to incur many fixed costs as well including earthwork, waterproofing, and ventilation.
- As I mentioned before, basements receive less natural light. That means you will have to invest in lights and do not forget high electricity bills associated with lights.
So, we hope you have a fair idea of basement pros and cons. If you want to know more about the costs of a basement, give this article a read.
Also, if you have any queries, let us know.
- Cost to Construct 5 Marla, 10 Marla and 1 Kanal House in Pakistan 
- Real Estate vs Stocks – Where you should Invest in?
- Top 5 Real Estate Podcasts to Follow in 2020
- House For Rent In Islamabad- Find Your Dream House In Islamabad