I grow plants for many reasons: to please my eye or my soul, to challenge the elements or to challenge my patience, for novelty or nostalgia, but mainly for the joy in seeing them grow. – David Hobson.
One of the best ways to add natural beauty to your house is through indoor plants. No interior design is completed without indoor plants. Plants not only enhance the curb appeal of the home but also give multiple benefits. It provides us with oxygen, purifies the air and also acts as a mood booster.
In this blog, we bring you specific things you need to know about indoor plants. Keep on reading to learn more about indoor plants in Pakistan that will add more beauty to your space.
What are indoor plants?
According to Wikipedia, an indoor plant is a plant grown indoors in places such as residences and offices, namely for decorative purposes. Still, studies have also shown them to have positive psychological effects.
People prefer indoor plants because they can be managed easily, and one does not have to spend endless hours in their maintenance. Indoor plants are perfect for people living in small spaces and want to have greens around them. It is also an excellent option for people who live in places that have harsh winters and summers.
How to plant and grow indoor plants?
Unlike outdoor plants, it is easy to plant and grow indoor plants. Usually, the indoor plants are in containers, and you do not have to worry about putting them in pots. Then, it would help if you learned to understand when indoor plants need water. Indoor plants usually do not require water like regular plants. Also, be aware of the house’s temperature, humidity, and ventilation system so that your plants stay healthy. Most importantly, make sure that your indoor plants get the right amount of light. Use suitable potting soil, fertilizer and gardening tools.
Indoor plants and light:
There are certain indoor plants such as succulents and cacti that need a continuous supply of sunlight. Different types of plants have different sunlight needs. For example, plants with foliage need 8 hours of light per day. Before growing plants in your house, make sure you research about them and then treat them accordingly.
Things to consider in an excellent indoor plant:
Some of the things you need to consider in an excellent indoor plant include the following items.
A sound root system is crucial for the growth and maintenance of indoor plants. This is important because roots help the plants to get water and nutrients. Healthy roots should be thick and light in colour.
Make sure you know about the foliage as well. If you can not see through it, the vegetation is thick enough. Also, make sure that the plants are free from pests or diseases. Keep an eye on white dots, sticky residue on the leaves and a foul odour. These things may destroy the plant within days.
Top indoor plants:
Following is the list of top indoor plants in Pakistan that you can plant today to enhance the overall look of your house.
- Philodendron: it is a widespread indoor plant and known for its adaptability and resistance against pests. They do not need much maintenance and do not have too many pest problems, making them a great indoor plant all around.
- Devil’s Ivy is another great option and is known for its colorful and vibrant leaves. This plant grows well in a variety of environments and responds well to low light.
- Dracaena is another beautiful indoor plant with long green leaves.
- Peace Lily is a perfect plant that can grow in moist soil which is not overwatered. Move your plant to a darker room if you want flowers to appear on your peace lily plant.
- Aglaonema is another excellent option that can tolerate low light and have a slow growth rate. It is also known as the “Chinese Evergreen”. This beautiful plant is native to the tropical forest floors of Asia and grows well in areas where it can receive indirect light as direct sunlight can scorch its leaves.
- Aspidistra is an indoor flowering plant that grows in the shade under trees and shrubs. Their leaves arise directly from ground level. This plant does not need a lot of water and can grow under low light. If you are looking for a common maintenance plant, this plant is perfect for you.
Other plants that can grow quickly include:
- Money tree (Pachira Aquatica)
- Fiddle leaf fig (Ficus lyrata)
- Rubber plant (Ficus elastica)
- Giant bird of paradise (Strelitzia nicolai)
- Madagascar dragon tree (Dracaena marginata)
- Dracaena Corn plant (Dracaena massangeana)
- Bamboo palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii)
Keep a water check. Indoor plants do not need regular watering. So, do your thorough research and then do the watering. Make sure the soil is moist and not wet. The easiest way to water the plant is to add water if the ground becomes lighter in colour or cracked. Plants, especially succulents, need periods of dryness between watering. 68° F or 20° C is the best temperature to keep the water you’re using to water your plants.
Sunlight is one of the most crucial things that plants need to thrive. First of all, avoid putting the plant in direct sunlight. Instead of putting the plants in indirect light, subject them to indirect light by putting them in a well-lit room. If you live in a place where the temperature is low and the weather is cloudy, fluorescent lights can work as an alternative to sunlight for some plants. Keep a simple rule in mind. Give flowering plants 12-16 hours of sunshine per day and give foliage plants 14-16 hours of light per day.
Humidity is crucial for the growth and maintenance of the indoor plant. To keep the plants fresh and alive, increase the moisture in the room. Some plants, such as cacti, may need dry air, but most other plants require humidity, especially tropical plants. To maintain the moisture of the air, you can buy a room humidifier with a cool mist. You can also DIY the humidifier by filling a tray with pebbles. Add water just up below the tops of the rocks. As the water evaporates, it will humidify the room. Also, keep a spray bottle with distilled water, and spray the plants in the morning.
So, these are some of the things you need to know about indoor plants. Give this blog a read and revamp your house by bringing in some beautiful indoor plants.
If you have any questions regarding the indoor plants in Pakistan, leave a comment in the comment section below, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.